These gorgeous lemon cookies are crispy and just the right amount of sweet with a light, almost marshmallow-like frosting. The secret to making them without eggs comes from a magical ingredient called Aqua Fava.
From time to time, one of my clients asks me to help out with some very interesting recipes and this is definitely one of them. My friends at Bush’s Beans asked me to photography this recipe for them because the cookies are made with aqua fava– the liquid you drain out of a can of garbanzo beans. I know it sounds a little odd but for anyone allergic to eggs, aqua fava can be a real game changer. This magical bean liquid has properties similar to egg whites and can be whipped or subbed into recipes in place of eggs.
I was a bit skeptical making them but the cookies turned out beautifully. Crispy on the outside with a slight soft chew inside. The frosting originally called for lavender, which I found a little bit overpowering, so for future batches I omitted it and subbed in lemon zest instead. The result: a beautiful, light, lemony cookie thats perfect with coffee or tea and completely egg free.
Egg-Free Lemon Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
1 can (16 oz.) BUSH’S® Reduced Sodium Garbanzo Beans, drained, reserve liquid
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 to 4 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, depending on how much lemon flavor you want
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 stick butter, softened at room temperature (very important)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup whipped aqua faba
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Place the garbanzo bean liquid (aqua faba) into medium bowl and whisk with hand mixer until soft peaks form about 3-4 minutes. Remove 1 cup and reserve remaining for another use. It will keep refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for one month.
- In separate small bowl mix flour, soda, powder and salt together.
- Combine butter, sugar, lemon juice and zest into another bowl and whip until creamy
- Fold aqua faba into butter mixture and add vanilla.
- Slowly add flour and mix until completely incorporated.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto nonstick cookie sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- Cool completely before frosting
1 16 ounce can garbanzo beans (low sodium), drained and reserve liquid
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon good quality pure vanilla extract
- Combine bean liquid, lemon zest and sugar in a medium sauce pan.
- Heat on low for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely about 20 minutes.
- Remove lemon zest through fine sieve.
- In a deep medium bowl, whisk cooled syrup for 4-6 minutes on high speed or until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar while mixing. Mix until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla and mix additional 15 seconds.
- Use to frost cooled lemon cookies.