How “Spec”-tacular is this Easy DIY Felt Eyeglass Case? This adorable and practical gift can be made in under an hour using items easily found at a Dollar Store.
Much like the timing of this story probably indicates, these are a real-life last-minute gifts that will be given to my Mom and Grandma for Mother’s Day. I’m also working on another one to give Lillian’s teacher as a belated Teacher Appreciate Week Gift (clearly I’m really on top of things this week). I plan to add a gift tag to each one stating “You’re Spec-tacular!”
This would make a great gift for moms, dads, grads and teachers at the end of the year. In fact, I’m thinking I’ll make two more to present to Max’s preschool teachers when his school year ends in a few weeks. Debating if I should add a note that says “Have a Spec-Tacular Summer” and tuck a Baskin Robbins Gift Card inside, or a note that says “Thank you for helping me shine,” like I did last year with a gift of sunscreen and sunflowers. Either way, I think this is such a cute and practical gift — after all, nearly everyone wears some kind of glasses or sunglasses.
To get started you’ll need the following items:
- A few sheets of felt in complimentary colors including a color for the frames
- Craft yarn (i.e. friendship bracelet yarn) in a coordinating color
- Printable Glasses Case Pattern (I copied this image from the web, pasted it into a word doc and sized it to the page before printing)
- Printable glasses pattern (I found this image on the web, but you could search for another sunglasses image and just resize the image to fit the case before printing)
- I sheet of Heat & Bond iron on fabric adhesive
- A needle and a pair of scissors
To make your glasses case:
- Trace the eyeglass case pattern onto a sheet of felt and cut out the pattern.
- Fold the felt piece in half and hold it together with pins. Sew the edge closed using a whip stitch leaving about one inch of the long side and one entire short side open.
- Use and iron to attach Heat & Bond to the back side of the felt colors you plan to use for the glasses and frames and allow them to cool.
- Trace your glasses and frames shapes onto the paper side of the felt pieces. Cut out the glasses and frames shapes.
- Peel paper backing off of glasses shape and place on the glasses case as you’d like them and affix using an iron. Allow to cool before peeling paper off of the frame pieces and and arranging them on the felt glasses. Use an iron to glue them on.
Enjoy Your Spec-tacular DIY Felt Glasses Case!