The second week in July I started my third quarter of culinary school. This quarter has been more intense than the first two. We’re through with the basics now of soups, stocks, sauces and knife skills and this time, the kitchen classes are a little looser in terms of direction. Its much more like Top Chef in some ways — in my catering class for example, on the very first day we walked into class and Chef had everyone draw the name of a meal out of a bowl. We then had 2 hours to prepare 50 portions…no recipe. I pulled roast rack of lamb. GULP. Talk about high-pressure. Luckily I managed to pull it off and the lamb came out perfectly cooked, as did the red wine reduction sauce we drizzled over it. Even so, classes are a little more stressful this time around.
So just about the time I was starting to adjust to my new class schedule and get back into my routine, something a bit unexpected happened at home. JiT’s job was eliminated. In all honesty, it wasn’t that big of a deal since he’s been pretty unhappy for awhile and had already been seriously considering making a change, but all the same, when its not exactly on your schedule its a little unsettling. JiT is a very talented creative director and graphic designer and he’s done freelance and contract work before so, until I finish culinary school thats what he’s doing now. Its already been a good thing –he’s much more relaxed and can choose when and what he works on — not to mention he’s been able to spend a great deal more time at home with Zoey and I.
Speaking of little Z, she was the source of the next wave of drama last month. Just days after JiT’s change of schedule, we noticed that Zoey seemed to have come down with a cold. She started with a runny nose then started snorting and snotting like now tomorrow. We immediately took her in to the vet — initially they assured us it was probably just allergies but soon called back with lab results that confirmed that she had the Corona virus, Kennel Cough and Distemper! We were absolutely shocked because she’s fully vaccinated and had only been to doggie daycare once (the only place she could have been exposed to all of this). She started antibiotics and bounced back almost immediately, but our anxiety was hardly quelled: The distemper diagnosis had me totally freaked because it can to be absolutely deadly in dogs — espcially puppies. We had to wait an excrutiating second week while they did some additional testing, ultimately reconfirming that she definitely has the virus. But since she’s shown absolutely no symptoms (its been almost 4 weeks), they feel very confident she has some immunity from her vaccines and may never show any signs of illness. We’re supposed to take her back in another few weeks to be retested, but in the meanwhile its still a bit of a waiting game. As the weeks have passed, I’ve been able to calm down a bit — she’s acting completely healthy — zooming around like crazy, eating well, etc, but its still a hard thing to hear.
Things are turning around though — we spent the last days of the month in Las Vegas with our best friends, and August already “feels” better. Hopefully they will be. ; )